IELTS Speaking Questions
Your Work or Your Studies
Do you work or are you a student?
1a) Your Work
1. What work do you do?
2. Why did you choose to do that kind of work?
3. Do many people in your country choose to do that type of work?
4. What are your responsibilities at work?
5. Do you remember your first day at work?
6. What did you do on your first day at work?
7. Did you like your first day at work?
8. (Similar to above) How did you feel on your first day at work?
9. Do you think the first day at work is important?
10. (Similar to above) Do you think a person’s first impressions of a new
job are important?
1b) Your Studies
1. What subject(s) are you studying?
2. Why did you choose to study that? / Why did you choose to study those subjects?
3. Do many students in your country study that subject?
4. (Similar to above) Is that a popular subject to study in your country?
5. What school/university do you attend?
6. Why did you choose that school/university?
7. What do you plan to do after you finish your studies?
1c) Your First Day at University
1. Did you like your first day at university?
2. (Similar to above) Did you have a good first day at university?
3. (Similar to above) How did you feel on your first day at university/high
4. Do you think the first day at university is important?
5. How important do you think it is for people to have an enjoyable first day at university (or, school)?
6. (Similar to above) Do you think a person’s first impressions of a new school or university are important?
1. What’s (the name of) your hometown (again)?
2. Is that a big city or a small place?
3. Please describe your hometown a little.
4. How long have you lived there?
5. Do you like it?
6. Do you like living there? *
7. What do you like (most) about your hometown?
8. Is there anything you dislike about it?
9. Do you think you will continue living there for a long time?
10. Do you plan to continue living there?
11. Where would you like to live? *
Your Home (Your Accommodation)
1. Can you describe the place where you live?
2. What do you usually do in your house/flat/room?
3. Are the transport facilities to your home very good?
4. Please describe the room you live in.
5. Is there anything you don’t like about the place where you live?
6. What kind of decorations does it have?
7. How do you think this room could be improved?
8. What can you see when you look out the window of your room?
9. How well do you know your neighbors?
10. What kind of people are your neighbors?
11. Do you spend much time socializing with your neighbors in your
12. Do you like the environment where you live?
13. Would you say the place where you live is good for families with children?
14. In the future, what type of place would you like to live in?
15. What kind of neighborhood/environment/surroundings would you like to live in?
1. Do you like shopping for shoes? (Why? / Why not?) *
2. How often do you buy shoes?
3. How long is it since you bought some shoes?
4. What kinds of shoes you usually buy? (or, prefer to buy)
5. Do you prefer comfortable shoes or good-looking shoes?
1. Do you have a favourite colour? (Why is that your favourite colour?)
2. Was that also your favourite colour when you were a child?
3. Were colours important to you when you were a child?
4. Did you wear bright coloured clothes when you were young?
5. Do you prefer light colours or dark colours?
6. Do you prefer light colours or bright colours?
7. What colour would you choose to paint the walls of your room?
8. What colour car would you choose to buy?
1. Do you like doing housework?
2. How do you think housework could be made more interesting?
3. Did your parents ask you (or, make you) do any housework whenyou were a child?
4. Do you think children should do some housework?
5. Which do you think is better for doing housework, a machine (or, arobot) or a person?
6. Which do you think can do housework better, a machine (or, a robot)or a person?
7. In the future, do you think machines will replace humans for doinghousework?
1. Do you (or, did you) have a favourite teacher?
2. Why do you like him/her?
3. How does (or did) this teacher help you?
4. Do you think you could be a teacher?
5. Would you like to be a teacher?
1. Do you often write things?
2. Do you write everyday?
3. When do you need to write?
4. Do you like writing?
5. What do you usually write?
6. How many hours a day do you spend writing?
7. Do you think writing is important?
8. Do you like writing to people?
9. Do you write letters very often?
10. Do you think you (one) can judge someone’s personality by looking at their handwriting?
1. What do you usually do with your friends?
2. How long have you known your best friend?
3. When will you see him/her next?
4. What do you (and your best friend) usually do together?
5. Which do you think is better, to have many friends or just a few closefriends?
6. Are most of your friends from school (or university) or from outside school(or university)?
7. (Similar to above) Are most of your friends from your work or are they notconnected with your work?
8. Do you prefer to spend time with your relatives (or family), or your friends?
9. Do you think friendship is important?
10. Do you like to spend time with friends? (Why?)
11. Do you prefer to spend time with friends or spend time alone? (Why?)
12. Are friends more important than family? (Why?) 13. What kind of people do you like to have as friends?
1. Do you like visiting natural places? *
2. What are some well-known natural attractions in your country?
3. Have you ever gone camping?
4. Do you like a natural environment?
5. How do city kids in your country have contact with nature?
6. Do you have any memories of nature from your childhood?
7. What are the benefits of learning about nature?
8. What can people get from going to natural places?
1. Do you like (to learn about) history?
2. What historical event do you find most interesting?
3. What historical event do you think was most important?
4. Do you think history is important?
5. Do you like to watch programs on TV about history?
6. How do you get information about history?
7. Do you think you can (really) learn history from films and/or TVprograms?
8. Do you think the internet is a good place to learn about history?
9. Can you name a person from history who you would like to learnmore about?
10. Why would you like to learn more about him/her?
1. Are there many advertisements in your country
2. Why do you think there are so many advertisements now?
3. What are the various places where we see advertisements?
4. How do you feel about advertisements?
5. What kind of advertisement do you like the most?
6. Do advertisements (ever) influence your choice about what to buy?
7. Where can we see advertisements?
8. Do you like advertisements on TV?
9. Do you prefer advertisements on TV or those in magazines?
10. Do you think advertising plays a very important role in today’sworld?
11. What sorts of advertisements leave the deepest impression onpeople?
12. What do you think about the developments in advertising in Chinatoday?
13. Why do you think companies advertise themselves (or, their products)?
1. What public holidays do you have in your country? *
2. Do people in your country celebrate Christmas?
3. Do you like public holidays?
4. Which public holidays do you like the most?
5. What did you do during the last public holiday?
6. What do other people in your country usually do on public holidays?
7. What would you like to do during the next public holiday?
8. Do you think public holidays are important?
9. Do you think there should be more public holidays in your country?
Weather & Seasons
1. What’s the weather (or climate) like in your hometown?
2. Would you say the weather in your hometown is generally good, or badweather?
3. How are the (four) seasons different in your hometown?
4. Which season do you like the best (or, the most)?
5. Would you prefer to live in a place with one season all year round, orfour different seasons?
6. Would you say there have been any changes in the weather (in yourhometown) in the recent past?
7. Does the weather have much impact on your life?
8. Do you often talk about the weather with your friends?
9. What sort of climate do you prefer?
10. Do you like extreme climate? (Why?/Why not?)
1. Do you like traveling?
2. In which season do you prefer to travel?
3. Would you say your country welcomes travelers (or, tourists)?
4. Would you say your country is a good place for travelers (or, tourists)to visit?
5. What are some problems travelers meet on their trips?
6. What are ideal places in your country for people to go to?
7. What are the benefits of traveling?
8. How do people travel around in your country?
1. Do you prefer to study in a silent environment or in a place that has some noises (or sounds)?
2. What do you do if there’s too much noise (and you want to study)?
3. When (or, at what times) do you find it easiest to concentrate? (Why?)
4. What times in your life do you need to concentrate on doing something?
5. Does your job require concentration and attention to detail?
6. Is it difficult/easy to concentrate? (Why?)
7. What affects your ability to concentrate?
8. What type of environment do you need to work peacefully?
9. Do you (ever) do anything to help you concentrate?
10. Do you think people can do two things at the same time?
1. Do you have many neighbours?
2. Would you say your neighbourhood is a suitable place for families withchildren to live?
3. Do you know your neighbours?
4. Do you like your neighbours?
5. What do you think of your neighbours?
6. How often do you see (or talk to) your neighbours?
7. Does you think it’s important for a person to have a good relationship withtheir neighbours?
8. In what ways can neighbours help each other?
9. Have you ever asked a neighbour for help?
10. What sorts of problems (conflicts) can people have with their neighbours?
11. Would you prefer to have young people as your neighbours, or old people?
1. Do you like traveling by car?
2. When was the last time you traveled by car?
3. Do you think it’s important to have a driver’s license?
4. Do you like cars?
5. Do you have a driver’s licence?
6. Have you ever driven a car?
7. Do you (or your family) have a car?
8. Do you often drive it?
9. (If you don’t have a car) Do you plan to buy a car in the future?
10. If you wanted to buy a car, what kind of car would you choose?
11. What kinds of cars are most popular in your country?
12. Do you like traveling by car?
13. Who do you prefer to travel with?
14. Do you like to take long trips in a (your) car?
15. Is there anything you don’t like about cars?
1. Do you prefer to study in a silent environment or in a place that has some noises?
2. What do you do if there’s too much noise?
3. Are you ever bothered by noise?
4. Where can you hear loud noise?
5. Do you think there is more noise in people’s lives today than in the past?
6. Do you think there is more noise in cities today than there was in the past?
7. Do you think that cities will become noisier in the future?
8. What sounds do you like?
9. What sounds do you dislike?
10. Are there any particular sounds that you like or dislike? 11. What sounds remind you of your childhood?
Museums and Art Galleries
1. Do you like visiting museums and art galleries?
2. What did you learn from visiting these places?
3. Do you think schools should take their students to visit museums and artgalleries?
4. When you were a child, did you ever visit any museums?
5. Would you recommend that schools take their students to visit museums(or, that museum)?
6. What do you think is the role (or the purpose) of museums and artgalleries?
7. What can people learn from visiting museums and art galleries?
1. Dou you like visiting street markets?
2. Do you think street markets are good for people?
3. Why do people sometimes prefer to shop at a street market rather than innormal shops or shopping malls?
4. What do you think are the differences between a street market and asupermarket?
5. Would you like to visit a street market in a foreign country?
1. Do you (ever) use a map?
2. When do you use a map?
3. Who taught you how to use a map?
4. (Similar to above) How did you learn to use (or read) a map?
5. Do you prefer to use electronic maps or those made of paper?
1. Do you like to receive gifts? (Why?/ Why not?)
2. What kind of gifts do you like to receive? (Why?)
3. What gifts did you receive in your childhood?
4. Do you like giving gifts to people? (Why?/ Why not?)
5. What gifts did you give to others in your childhood?
6. Do you often receive gifts?
7. Do you like receiving presents?
8. What’s your favourite (or, the best) gift you have ever received?
9. What was the last gift your received?
10. Have you ever received a gift that you dislike(d)?
11. Is there anyone you’d like to give a present to?
12. Do you find it hard to choose gifts for people?
13. Do you prefer to give a gift or to receive one?
14. In your country, when do people give gifts to others?
15. Do you think flowers are good gifts?
Leisure Time (or, Days of the Week)
1. Which is your favourite day of the week?
2. How many days off do you have every week? *
3. Do you usually have days off together or are they separated (bywork/attendance at class)?
4. When do you have free time?
5. How do you like to relax? (What’s your favourite way to relax?)
6. How do you relax?
7. Do you have any hobbies or interests?
1. Do you often go to a park (or, parks)? (Why?/ Why not?)
2. Who do you usually go there with?
3. When was the last time you went to a park?
4. Does your hometown have many parks?
5. Do you often visit public parks?
6. What do you usually do there?
7. Do you like parks?
8. What kinds of parks do you like?
9. What do you like most about (going to) a park?
10. Did you go to parks when you were a child?
11. What did you do there?
12. Do you think it’s good to have parks and public gardens in cities? (Why?)
13. Do you think there should be more of them?
14. Do you think you will go to parks more often in the future?
1. What’s your favourite food?
2. When do you usually eat that food?
3. What was your favorite food when you were a child?
4. Did that change when you became an adult?
5. Is food important to you? (Why?)
6. What foods do you usually eat?
7. What kind(s) of food do you particularly like? (Why?)
8. How often do you eat that?
9. When was the last time you ate that?
10. If you had children, what foods would you recommend they eat?
11. (Similar to above) In the future, if you have children, what food will you recommend they eat?
12. Do you usually make that yourself or do you usually buy it?
13. Do you always (or, usually) eat the same food every day?
14. Is there any food you don’t like? (Why?)
1. What was your favorite toy when you were a child? (Why?)
2. Do you like toys?
3. Are toys very important to you?
4. What sorts of people like toys?
5. Did your parents give it to you?
6. Do you still have any of your old toys?
7. Can you suggest why some people like to keep a childhood toy?
8. Why do some people like to keep a toy from their childhood?
9. What kind of toys do children like today?
10. If you had a child, what toy would you buy him or her?
11. Do you think toys should be passed on to other kids when these toys areno longer wanted?
1. Do you like to take photographs? (Why?)
2. Do you think it is better to take photos using a camera or a mobile phone?
3. (Similar to above) Do you prefer to take photos using a camera or a mobilephone?
4. What do you most like to take photos of?
5. What do you do with your photos after you have taken them?
6. Do you ever share your photos with other people on the internet?
Part 2 & 3
An old person
Describe an older person who you respect Who it is
How you knew him / her
What kind of person he/she is
Why you respect them
What do you think is the difference (or, are the differences) between the young and the elderly?
Do you think we should respect old people?
In what ways can people show respect to old people?
Do you think old (or, older) people like being asked for their advice by young people?
Do you think young people should always do what the older people say they should do?
Why is it that many young people don’t want to listen to what older people say? Do you think young people have a responsibility to take care of old people? Who do you think should take care of those old people who need care? Should the family look after their elderly members, or the government?
Do you think old people should live alone at home?
How can we solve the problem of housing old people who are alone?
Describe a famous sports star that you like Who it is
What kind of sport they do
How you knew him / her
Why are they famous
What kind of sport is the most popular in your country?
Do people in your country prefer to participate in sports or to watch sporting competitions?
Are there any differences between sports that men play and those that women play?
Do people prefer playing sport for fun or playing in serious competition?
Some people believe that the top professional sportspeople are overpaid. Do you agree?
Do children in your country play any sports?
Is it good for children to play various types of sport?
Do you think it’s important for children to take part in sporting activities?
Do you think it’s better for children to play sport just for fun or to compete seriously?
Do children in your country have enough time for sport?
Someone You Would like to be Similar To
Describe a person who you would like to be similar to. You should say:
who this person is
how you know this person
what impresses you about this person
and explain why you would like to be similar to this person.
What are some examples of good habits and bad habits that people have? How do we develop our habits?
What good habits do you think children should develop (or, have)?
How can parents cultivate good habits in their children?
Why do some children develop bad habits?
Do you think the stars of popular culture such as pop singers and film stars influence the habits of young people?
Would you say this is a good thing? *
Do you think this puts a lot of pressure on these stars (to be good models)?
Do you think advertising in general has much influence on the habits of young people?
A musical artist
Describe a band or singer that you like Who it is
What kind of music they play
How you knew him / her
Why do you like them
Do you like singing?
What are the qualities (or, factors) that define someone as a good singer?
Do you think everyone (or anyone) can become a (good) singer?
Do you think there are benefits from being able to sing well?
Do you think the main goal of the music industry is to provide good music or to make money?
How do you think the music industry will evolve (change, develop) in the future?
A good looking person
Describe someone who you think is beautiful or handsome Who it is
What they look like
How you knew them
Why you think he/she is good looking
Do you think many people care about the appearance of others (and themselves)?
Which do you think is more important, a person’s appearance or their inner qualities?
We often see tall, thin models in (women’s) magazines. What effect do you think that has on young women?
Can you suggest why models like that are chosen to be in magazines and in fashion shows?
Do you think models such as that sell more clothes?
Which do you think is more beautiful, a city or a natural place? (Why?) What do you think the word, “beauty” means?
Describe one of your friends. You should say:
who this person is
what he or she looks like how you met
what you do together *
and explain why you have remained friends.
What do you think is the key to making friends?
Do you think people make more friends today than people did in the past? Are these relationships closer than relationships in the past?
Why do you think so many people make friends on the internet?
A Successful Person
Describe a person you know who you think is successful. Or
Describe a successful thing that a friend did
You should say:
who he or she is
what they did
how you know this person
and explain why you think he or she is successful
How do people achieve success at school?
How would you define the expression, “success at school”?
Which do you think is more important, success with one’s studies (academic success) or success in sport?
If a school student wants to be a success at something, do you think it is better for them to focus on academic activities, artistic activities or sporting activities?
Do parents in your country pay more attention to (or, give more value to) academic success or to some other example of success? (Why?)
What do you think are the differences between success at school and in the wider society?
Which do you think is more important, to learn academic skills or practical skills?
What kinds of people are most likely to be successful in their work?
In general, how do people judge (or, assess) the success (or otherwise) of others?
Do you believe “being successful” and “making a lot of money” are the same thing?
What factor is more important for success, talent or opportunity?
Besides academic and job success, what do you understand “success in life” to mean?
A Person who has an Interesting Job
Describe someone you know who has an interesting job. You should say:
who this person is
how you know this person *
who he/she (they) got this job what job they do
and explain why you think this person’s job is interesting.
In your country, what jobs (or, careers) are the most popular choices among young people?
What job would you like to do?
How do people choose their careers (or jobs)?
How do people make their choice of career or the subject (the major) they study at university?
Do you think it’s easy (or difficult) for people to choose a career (or job)?
Which do you think is more important when choosing a career (or job), the salary or what one is interested in? *
How can a person stay interested in their job for many years?
Is it easy for find a job in your country?
In what occupations does your country have a shortage of workers?
Why do many (or some) people want to work for the government?
In what ways do you think big and small companies are different (and similar)?
Do you think people have to do some study (or learn some skills) in order to get a good job?
A Famous Foreign Person
Describe a famous person (still living), not from your country, who you would like to meet.
You should say:
where this person comes from
how you first learned about him or her
why this person is famous
and explain why you would like to meet this person
Do you think everyone would like to be famous?
Would you like to be famous? How do people become famous?
What types of people become famous?
How can a famous person maintain his or her fame?
What kinds of famous people stay famous for a long time?
Why do you think some people are famous just for a short time while others are famous for a long time (e.g., hundreds of years)?
Do you think all famous people are wealthy?
Do you think being famous is the same as being rich?
Do you think famous people have much influence on young people?
A Home You Would Like to Live In
Describe a home (e.g flat or house) that you would like to live in. You should say:
where it would be
what type of home it would be
who you would like to live with
and explain why you would like to live in this (kind of) home.
How important to you is the locality and the surroundings of your house? Where (what types of places) do most people in your country prefer to live? What do you think about building a house in (or living in) the countryside?
If you could only build your dream home in the countryside (not in the city), would you do it?
Do people (in your country) prefer to live in cities or rural environments?
Do you think the government should encourage more people to live in the countryside (or, away from big cities)?
What do you think the government could do to attract more people to live in rural areas?
Do you think rural people and city people have similar outlooks on life? Where do you think is the best place for old (e.g., retired) people to live?
What kinds of home do people in your country live in?
What do you think is the best type of home for families to live in?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of living in a house compared to living in an apartment?
A City You Have Visited
Describe a city you visited or lived in. You should say:
when you visited there
why you went there
what interesting places this city or town had
which time of the year is best for visiting this place and explain how you felt in that city.
Why do many people want to live in cities?
What are the pros and cons of living in a (big) city? Did most people live in cities in the past?
Can you suggest why families with children tend to prefer living in a city? How are cities (in your country) different to cities in the past?
In general, what types of people live in cities?
What are some of the different reasons why people travel?
Why do you think some people don’t like traveling?
Who do you think prefers to travel, young people or old people?
A School You Attended
Describe a school you have attended (in your childhood). You should say:
what school it was
what the classrooms were like
what the teachers were like *
and explain how you felt about this school. *
Which do you think is better, a big school or a small school?
Which do you think is better, a big class or a small class?
What age do you think is most suitable for children to start school?
What do you think are the benefits of extra-curricular activities at school?
Do you think it should be compulsory for all children to attend a school?
Do you think it’s better for high school-aged boys and girls to be educated together, or separately?
Do you think school students today are overburdened?
Is teaching a very popular profession in your country?
Why do some people choose to (or, want to) become teachers of children?
What qualities do you think a good (primary school) teacher should have?
Who do you think is more suitable for working as a primary school teacher, men or women?
Describe a country you would like to visit Where it is
What it’s like
When do you want to visit
Why you want to visit this country
Do people in your country prefer to be tourists in their own country or in a foreign country?
What places in your country do they like to visit?
What foreign countries do people from your country like to visit?
Has foreign tourism from your country changed in the past few decades?
What do they do in these countries?
Do these people who travel abroad usually visit several countries (or places) or do they usually stay in one place?
What do you think are the benefits of foreign travel (benefits for the traveler)?
Some people think they can experience another country by seeing it on the internet. Do you agree?
What effects does tourism have on a country that many tourists visit? What effects do foreign tourists have on the countries they visit?
How do you think more people could be encouraged to travel abroad?
Besides tourism, what are reasons are there for people going overseas (or, visiting foreign countries)?
What countries do people from your country most want to migrate to?
Describe a long journey you’ve taken Where did you go
How long was it
What did you do
Why did you take this journey
What are the differences between long trips and short trips?
Why are more and more young people going on long trips nowadays?
Do you like going on long trips?
Can you suggest why some people don’t go on long trips?
What do you think people need to pay attention to when they go on long trips? What preparations do people need to make before they go on along trip? What form of transport do you think is the best for long trips?
What difficulties do people sometimes have on a long trip?
Do you (or, would you) prefer to go on a long trip alone or with others?
What are the benefits of traveling with others (or another person)? Are there any possible downsides to traveling with others?
Describe an occasion when you received good service from a company or shop.
You should say:
what company or business it was and what this comapny does * what the service was
who gave you the good service
where you received this good service
and explain explain why you think it was good service.
What are some examples of jobs that include a lot of contact with the public?
When dealing with the public, what should a company employee pay particular attention to?
What’s an example of a difficult situation involving the public that an employee needs to deal with?
What personal qualities do such employees need to have? Do you think people can be trained to have those qualities?
Do you think employees doing such a job requires special training to prepare them for contact with the public?
How can (or, could) a company or business (or government department) train employees for this?
Describe a time you borrowed something from others ( friend or family member)
What did you borrow
How did you borrow it
What was the other person’s reaction Why did you need to borrow something
What do people borrow?
Why do they borrow these things?
Are there any advantages from borrowing?
Are there any downsides to borrowing something?
Is there any difference between borrowing a thing and borrowing a sum of money?
Do friends usually return the things they borrow from each other?
How do you think people feel when they have to ask a friend to return a borrowed item?
Describe something that you did which was a waste of time
What did you do
When/where did you do it
How much time did you waste
Why you thought it was a waste of time
How important do you think it is for people to plan how they use their time? What are the advantages of planning your time?
do people plan their daily routine?
How do people decide what to do with their free time?
Do you think there are any possible disadvantages from sticking to a (strict) daily routine?
What are the disadvantages of routines?
Do you think there are any differences between the ways young people and old (or, older) people plan their time?
Are there any special tools (or methods) that people use to plan their time?
A traffic jam
Describe a time you were stuck in traffic When it was
Why was there traffic
How long were you in traffic
How you felt
What are the traffic conditions like in your hometown?
Are traffic jams very common in your hometown (or, around where you live)?
Do you feel that traffic congestion in your hometown is better, or worse than it used to be?
What is the traffic situation like in your hometown, compared to Beijing? What are the causes of traffic jams (or, traffic congestion)?
When (at what time of the day) do the most severe traffic jams usually happen? (Why?)
What locations are most prone to traffic jams?
What impact do you think traffic jams have on society? (or, on people)
What is the mood of people when they are caught in a traffic jam?
Does heavy traffic have any effect on the environment?
Do you think the government should put some restrictions on who can buy a car?
What is the government doing (or, what has it done) to help solve the problem of traffic jams?
What would you suggest as possible solutions to the problem of congested traffic?
Do you think the problem of traffic congestion will be eased (or solved) in the future or will it become worse?
Do you think having more public transportation is the answer to traffic congestion?
A time you waited for someone
Describe a time you waited for someone Who you waited for
Where did you wait for them
How long did you wait
Why you had to wait for them
What type of people don’t get too upset when they have to wait for someone?
Do you think here are any differences between today and the past when it comes to the question of waiting for someone?
A group activity
Describe a group activity you took part in You should say:
What the activity was
Who you did it with
What you did
How you felt about it
Do you think teamwork is important?
What qualities do you think a good team member should have?
What factors do you think are most important when doing something as a member of a team?
How does a good member of a team contribute to the team? How do you think a team should be organized?
Do you think a team needs to have a leader?
How should a team leader do his or her job (as a leader)?
Do you think it’s (always) necessary to have a strong team leader?
Do you think it’s important for children to have experiences doing things in a team?
Do you have any ideas on how to help children learn to co-operate with others and work as a team (or, develop sense of teamwork)?
Describe a meal you treated others (at home or restaurant) Where you had this meal
What you ate
Who you treated
How you felt about it
What do people in your country usually eat (for dinner)?
How is the food that people in your country eat different to the food that foreigners eat?
Do young people (and children) usually eat the same types of food that older adults eat?
Can you suggest why some (young) kids don’t like eating vegetables?
Would you say there’s a greater choice of what to eat today, compared to the past?
What are the reasons for this?
What do you think is more important, the quality or the price of food?
Which do you think is more important, the taste of food or the quality of the food?
A Family Celebration You Attended
Describe a family celebration that you attended. You should say:
where this celebration was held
why it was held
what you did at this celebration
and explain why you enjoyed this celebration.
Are weddings considered very important in your country?
Would you say marriage (or, weddings) today is (are) considered less important than it was in the past?
Are weddings today (in your country) the same as weddings have always been?
Where are weddings held?
Do you think people spend too much money on weddings?
Who usually pays for the costs of a wedding?
What preparations need to be done before a wedding takes place?
What would you say are the most important family celebrations in your country?
Besides weddings, on what other occasions do people in your country hold celebrations?
Besides weddings, on what other occasions do people in your country hold family celebrations?
Do you prefer celebrating with your family or with your friends?
Do you think everybody enjoys attending family celebrations?
Do you think people like attending national celebrations (e.g. National Day)?
What do you think are the differences between family celebrations and national (or public) celebrations?
Do you think all public holidays are “celebrated”?
Do people in your country celebrate the same public holidays that people celebrate in other countries?
A Time When You Stayed Away from Home
Describe a time when you stayed (far) away from your home. You should say:
where it was
how long you stayed there
what you did there (or, why you stayed there) and explain how you felt about it
Do people in your country often stay in (or, at) hotels? Why do people stay in hotels?
In your country, when people travel to see friends or relatives, do they
usually stay with the people they are visiting or do they usually stay in a hotel?
What do you think are the pros and cons of visitors staying in a hotel rather than in the home of the people they are visiting?
Is it preferable to stay with relatives, or with friends?
What’s the difference between staying with relatives or friends and living in you own home?
When people are choosing a hotel to stay in, which do you think people give more weight to, the location or the price?
A Book You Recently Read
Describe a book you recently read. You should say:
what book it was
when you read it
what the contents of the book were and explain why you read this book
In their spare time, do adults in your country prefer to read or do other things? What books (or reading matter) do they read?
Do you think e-books are having an effect on people’s reading habits?
What do children in your country read?
Do they only read entertainment materials or do they also read other things?
Do you think they should read more educational materials?(= materials from which they increase their knowledge)
Who do you think has the greater influence on the reading habits of children, their teachers or their parents?
How could children be encouraged to read more?
A Piece of Electronic Equipment
Describe a useful piece of electronic equipment that you use You should say:
what it is
how often you use it
what you do with it
and explain why you think it is useful
What are some examples of the most popular hi-tech devices that people use today in your country?
In what ways do electronic devices such as a television set or a mobile phone affect people’s lives today?
How did people in former times exist without these devices?
What benefits do people get from using these devices/this equipment?
Are there any downsides (or, disadvantages) from using hi-tech equipment?
Do you think can ever be harmed by using electronic equipment such as computers or cell-phones?
Are there any benefits from using hi-tech equipment in the workplace?
Can you suggest why computers are found in almost all workplaces (e.g., offices) today?
What do you think would happen if something went wrong with the computer system within a company?
Some people say that modern technology replaces humans in the workplace. Do you agree?
Do you think hi-tech equipment such as robots might completely replace humans in the workplace?
What do you imagine future development of science and technology might be like?
A Prize or Award
Describe a prize or award you would like to receive. You should say:
what it is
what you would need to do to get it
whether or not others are interested in getting this prize or award and explain why you would like to receive this prize or award.
Do you think competition is good?
Do you think it is good for children?
Why do some adults like competition?
What are some examples of prizes/awards that schools give to some students?
What do you think are the benefits of giving these prizes/awards?
How do companies (work places/employers) reward employees for special achievement?
What do you think employees would prefer to receive as a reward, money or something else?
A project or homework
Describe a project or homework assignment that you did
What it was
When you did it
How you did it (was it hard/difficult) How you felt
Do people have much homework in your country?
What kind of homework do people usually do?
What’s your favorite type of homework
Do you have many chances to do projects with others?
What are the differences with working with others to complete a project and doing a project on your own?
What kind of homework/projects makes you frustrated?
A TV program or radio program
Describe a TV program or radio program that you have watched What it was
When you watched it
What the contents were
How you feel about it
Do people in China prefer to listen to the radio or to watch TV?
Please compare TV and radio programs. (Differences and similarities/ advantages & disadvantages)
Does radio have any advantages over TV?
Do you prefer to watch TV alone or watch it with other people? What sorts of programs are broadcast on television in China?
What types of TV programs are most popular in China? (Why?)
What are the contents of these programs?
What sorts of TV programs do young people like to watch?
How are television programs in China today different to those of the past?
Are foreign dramas (for example, soap operas from the U.S.) very popular in China?
Is there much difference between TV programs in your country and foreign TV programs?
What sorts of TV programs do old people like to watch?
Do you have 24-hour television in China?
In the future, what changes do you think we will see concerning television?
Describe a useful App that you think is useful What it is
What functions does it have
How you use it
Why you think it’s useful
Is it convenient (or, easy) to use an app?
What are the benefits from using apps?
Are there any drawbacks from using an app?
Who do you think uses apps more, young people or older adults? (or, old people)
Do you think young people and older adults (or old people) approach modern technology differently?
Why do most (young) people feel it’s important to keep up with the latest technology?
An interesting conversation
Describe an interesting conversation that you’ve had with others What you talked about
Who you talked with
When/where did you have this conversation
Why you thought it was interesting
Which do you think is better, a face-to-face conversation or a conversation by phone?
Do young people prefer chatting with their parents or with other young people?
Concerning conversations, do you think there are any differences between men and women?
Who chats more, men or women?
Do you think many people enjoy giving a presentation in front of a group of people at university or at work?
Why are many people nervous in that situation?
What do you think they could do to reduce their nervousness?
Something you want to learn
Describe something you want to learn which you can’t learn right now What it is
Why you want to learn it How you will learn it
Why can’t you learn it now
How important do you think it is for people to learn to use new technologies? What kinds of skills do you think are the most useful (in everyday life)?
What are some examples of skills that you think are the most useful (in everyday life)?
Should women also learn (these) skills?
Compare the skills women learn with those that men learn.
Which do you think are more important, the skills that children learn at home or those they learn at school?
Do you think high school students should learn skills that will be useful in the workplace?
A handmade gift
Describe a gift that you made by hand for a friend What the gift was
How did you make it
Why did you make a handmade gift
How your friend felt
On what occasions do people in your country give gifts? Do you think a homemade gift is good to give to someone?
What are some examples of handmade items that people give as gifts? What types of people are most likely to be the receivers of these gifts?
Do you think people appreciate receiving handmade gifts or do they prefer more expensive, shop-bought gifts?
Do you think females are more likely to place importance on giving gifts than males?
Do you think arts and crafts should be taught in schools? Do you think it should be a compulsory subject?
Are girls more creative than boys?
A healthy activity
Describe a healthy activity that you do What it is
When / where you do it
Who you do it with
Why do you think it’s healthy
Is staying healthy an important question (or topic) in your country?
Is it really so important to stay healthy?
What activities do people in your country do in order to maintain their health?
What do young people (or, university students) do in order to maintain their health?
What’s the most popular form of exercise in your country?
Do you have any traditions in your country concerning health?
Who is generally healthier, young people or elderly people? What do elderly people do in order to stay healthy?
Do adults who are working pay much attention to doing activities that would promote their health?
What do they do? (If they do anything.)
Do you think what a person does, or does not do, concerning a healthy lifestyle, is one’s personal choice (or should the government become involved in this question)?
An important job
Describe an important job in your country What it is
What people do in this job
Is it hard to do this job
Why you think it’s important
Is it easy for people to find a job in your country? Is that the same in all parts of your country?
Do you think a person should take the first job that’s available or continue to look for a job that they will like better?
At what age do most people begin working in your country? Do you think that’s a suitable age? Why not earlier?
Which do you think is better, to attend a training institute such as a university or college (after high school but) before starting work, or starting work immediately after high school?
Why do business people, on average, make more money than other people? Do you think that’s reasonable (fair)?
Some Useful Advice that You Received
Describe a situation (or time) when you received some useful advice. You should say:
what the situation was
who gave you the advice
what the advice was
and explain how this advice was useful to you.
Which do you think is better, advice from one’s family members or advice from one’s friends?
On what topics do you think young people might ask their friends for advice?
Do people, such as your family or friends, generally offer advice to you or do you usually need to ask for advice?
When you are given advice, do you usually follow that advice or do you make your own decisions?
Do you think people should get advice from others before they decide on what career to follow?
Do you think that the advice that people gave 50 years ago is still relevant today?
Do you think it’s a good idea to seek advice, or look for advice, on the internet? What kind of people are suitable for giving advice to others?
What type of personality do you think someone needs to have in order to be a good advice-giver?
What kinds of advice does the government give people? Where (or how) can a person get advice from the government?
A Foreign Film You Enjoyed
Describe a foreign film that you enjoyed watching. * You should say:
what type of film it was
who the actors were
what the film was about *
and explain what you liked (and possibly disliked) about this film.
What kinds of films are most popular in your country?
What are some English language films that have been (or are) popular in your country?
Is it easy for people in your country to watch films in English?
Do you think it’s easier to watch foreign films today than it was 20 or 30 years ago?
Can they understand the film just by listening?
Which do you think are more enjoyable, foreign films that are dubbed into your language or foreign films that have subtitles (in your language)?
What do you think we can learn from foreign films?
Do you think a person can improve their English by watching foreign (English language) films?
Which do you think is better for improving one’s English, reading books written in English or watching foreign films?
What are the differences between Hollywood (American) films and films from your country?
What types of Hollywood films are most popular in your country? Do you like films from your own country?
Do you think people can learn about the culture of a foreign country by watching films from that country?
An Interesting Animal
Describe a time when you saw an interesting animal. You should say:
what animal it was
where you saw it
what happened when you saw it
and explain why you thought it was interesting. *
Do you think it’s important for school students to learn about animals in school?
If you were a teacher, how would you teach your students about animals?
Do you think all wild animals should be protected? How do you think endangered animals could be / should be protected?
Is the government in your country doing anything to protect wild animals?
Would you say it is one of the duties (or, responsibilities) of government to protect endangered animals?
Do you think keeping endangered animals in a zoo is a good way to protect them?
Do you think average people can play a role in helping to prevent the extinction of wild animals?
Something Special from a Holiday
Describe something special you brought home from a holiday. * You should say:
what it was
when and where you went on this holiday
what you did with it after you brought it home and explain why you thought it was special.
Why do people buy souvenirs?
What types of things do people buy as souvenirs?
Do you think different types of people tend to buy different sorts of souvenirs?
What types of souvenirs do visitors to your country buy?
If you bought a shirt as a souvenir from some place you visited, would you prefer to wear that shirt or hang it on the wall as a display?
Do you think some people just buy souvenirs to show off ?
Do you think the price and quality of souvenirs are always reasonable?
Something You Bought but Don’t Often Use
Describe something you bought but don’t often use. You should say:
what it is
when and where you bought it *
what it is used for why you bought it
and explain why you don’t often use it.
Do you think many people are many things that they don’t really need? What do you think has caused these people to love shopping so much? Do you think people will change their attitudes in the future?
How often do you go shopping (or, buy something)?
Do people in your country like to go shopping? Do many people buy things in street markets?
What do you think are the pros and cons of shopping in a large department store?
What factors do people consider before they decide to buy something?
For you (or, for most people), which is more important when buying something, the price or the quality?
An Indoor Game You Played in Your Childhood
Describe an indoor game that you played when you were a child. You should say:
what the game was
who you played it with *
how you played it *
and explain why you played that game.
Do people of all ages play games, or is it only children? Which do you think are better, indoor or outdoor games?
What are the most popular indoor games in your country?
How do people learn to play games?
Do you think it’s hard to learn the rules of games?
Would you say children in your country prefer outdoor games, or indoor games?
What games do children play today?
Are those the same as the games kids used to play in the past? Do you think it’s good for children to play games?
What can they learn from games?
Do you think it’s important for children’s games to be competitive?
A Good Law
Describe a good law in your country.
You should say
what the law is
how you first learned about this law
who benefits from this law (or, who is affected by this law) and explain why you think this is a good law.
What types of work particularly involve the law?
In relation to the law, what is the difference between the work of government officials and that of lawyers?
In relation to the law, what is the difference between the work of the police and that of lawyers?
Do you think rules and laws are important?
Why do you think we need to have laws?
Do you think all laws are fair?
In your country, do people generally feel that they should obey the law?
Do you think it’s OK to occasionally break the law, (in a small way)?
Do you think we should obey all laws, all the time?
Can you suggest any occasions when a person cannot obey a law?
Can you suggest any situations when a person can be excused for not obeying a law?
What are some of the situations when a person needs to use a lawyer? What do you think is the purpose of having police?
Do you think the police should carry guns?
Who do you think is more suitable for being a police officer, men or women? Who do you think is more suitable for being a lawyer, men or women?
Do many people in your country want to be police officers?
Something You Shared
Describe something that you have shared with others (or another person) * You should say:
what you shared
who you shared it with.
why you shared it
and explain how you felt about shared it.
Do you like sharing things with others?
Can you suggest why some people don’t like sharing?
Do people in your country (or, you) prefer to share public transport or do they (you) prefer to use private transport?
How do you think more people could be encouraged to share public transport? Do you think sharing one’s car with others is a good idea?
Do many people in your country share their home with other or do they mostly live alone? *
Why do you think people share some things with others?
Do you think there are any advantages to sharing your home with other (non-family) people?
Do you think there should be (or are) some general rules for people when they share things? *
Do you think it’s good to share personal information with others on the internet?
Your First Cell-phone
Describe your first mobile phone (or communication device). You should say:
when you got it
how you got it *
what you used it for
and explain how you felt when you got it.
What do you think are the main differences between cell phones today and the first cell phones (in the 1990’s)?
Do you like having a mobile phone?
Is your mobile phone important to you?
Are mobile phones very common in your country?
Do all types of people use mobile phones or is it mostly a case of certain types of people (certain groups) using them?
What do people use their mobile phone for?
Would you say cell-phones are useful when one is traveling?
Do you think it is important for someone going on a business trip to use a mobile phone while on the trip?
Do many old people use mobile phones?
Do you think old people find it easy to use a cell-phone?
Do old(er) and young people use mobile phones in the same way?
Do you think there are any downsides (bad points) to using a cell-phone?
Do people use their cell-phones more for speaking or more for sending text messages?
A Foreign Language You Would Like to Learn
Describe a foreign language you would like to learn (besides English). You should say:
how you would learn it
what difficulties you think you might have when learning this language. and explain why you would like to learn this language.
Do you think it’s important to learn a foreign language?
What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of learning (or studying) a foreign language?
Do you think everyone should learn a foreign language?
Would you agree that some people are better at learning a language than others?
Do you think it’s good that some school students are forced to study a foreign language (= it is compulsory for them to study a foreign language)?
What benefits do children (or, people) get from studying (learning) a foreign language?
Do you think there are any possible downsides from studying a foreign language?
What difficulties do people experience when they try to learn another language?
Why do you think different people seem to have different capabilities for learning languages?
How do high school teachers in your country teach English?
How do you think school teachers could make studying a foreign language more interesting?
What are the reasons why people learn a foreign language?
What kinds of people are most likely to learn a foreign language?
In your country, which are the most commonly studied foreign languages?
A piece of broken equipment
Describe a time you had a problem with an equipment What the equipment was
What was the problem
What you did
How you felt when you had this problem
In your country, what are some examples of equipment that often breaks down or becomes unusable because of some fault?
Why do you think this equipment breaks so easily? Why do people have problems with some equipment?
Do people in your country usually throw away broken equipment or do they usually get it repaired (or try to repair it themselves)?
How do you repair broken equipment yourself?
What are some examples of equipment (or machines, or devices) that we use in everyday life?
What are some examples of equipment that people use today that were not used in the past?
Which of those do you think is the most important?
A Letter or Email You Wrote
Describe an important letter or email you wrote You should say:
when you wrote it who you it wrote to what you wrote about
and explain why it was important.
What letters do people receive nowadays?
What do people use the post office for?
Do you think communicating with others is important? Which are better, emails or letters?
Besides emails and letters, what other ways can people use to communicate with others?
Which do you think is better (or, more effective) for communicating with someone, a cell phone call, an email or a letter?
In what situations do you think people usually communicate by phone? What types of emails (or letters) do you usually get?
What effects have modern scientific & technological advancements had on communication?
When people say they have received a “good” letter or email or a “bad” letter or email, what do you think they mean?