F2F Class Notes (Nemo)

Homework

Use some of the vocabulary from today in some writing. Choose a topic that lets you use the words we learned.

Vocabulary

be supposed to (v): to have to; to have a duty or a responsibility to
应该,应当
E.g.: The children are supposed to be at school by 8.45 a.m.
孩子们应该在早上8:45之前到校。
E.g.: What are you doing out of bed – you’re supposed to be asleep.
你不睡觉起来干什么——你早该睡着了。
E.g.: You’re not supposed (= allowed) to park here.
你不能把车停在这儿。

be supposed to (v):to be intended to
被期望,应该,预期
E.g.: These batteries are supposed to last for a year.
这些电池应该能用一年。
E.g.: We were supposed to have gone away this week, but Debbie’s ill so we couldn’t go.
这周我们本该走了,但是戴比病了,所以我们走不了了。
E.g.: How am I supposed to (= how can I) find that much money by the end of the week?
我怎么能在周末之前弄到那么多钱呢?
E.g.: I was supposed to go to Hangzhou but I changed my plans.

What am I supposed to do now?-我现在该怎么办?

interest (n): money that is charged by a bank or other financial organization for borrowing money
(借款的)利息
E.g.: Interest charges on an overdraft are usually quite high.
对透支款项收取的利息通常是很高的。
2-money that you earn from keeping your money in an account in a bank or other financial organization
(存款的)利息
E.g.: You should put the money in a savings account where it will earn interest.
你应该把钱存在有利息的储蓄户头上。

freelance/freelancer (n):
someone who does particular pieces of work for different organizations, rather than working all the time for a single organization:
E.g.: The firm employs several freelances.
E.g.: I want to become a freelancer.

freelance (adj/adv): doing particular pieces of work for different organizations, rather than working all the time for a single organization
从事自由职业(的);作为自由职业者(的)
E.g.: Most of the journalists I know are/work freelance.
我认识的记者大多数是自由撰稿人。
E.g.: a freelance artist
自由职业艺术家

freelance (v): to do pieces of work for different organizations, rather than working all the time for a single organization
当自由职业者
E.g.: I would rather freelance from home than work in an office.
我宁可在家当自由职业者,也不愿到办公室上班。

realistic person-现实主义者

realistic (adj): accepting things as they are in fact and not making decisions based on unlikely hopes for the future
现实的;实事求是的;务实的
E.g.: Let’s be realistic (about this) – I just can’t afford to pay that much money.
(在这一点上)我们还是现实一点吧——我根本就付不起那么一大笔钱。
E.g.: It isn’t realistic to expect people to work for so little money.
给那么点报酬还指望人们干这个工作,这是不现实的。
E.g.: My husband is a realistic person

realistically (adv): according to the facts and what is possible
现实地;实事求是地
E.g.: Realistically speaking, he hadn’t a hope, but that didn’t stop him trying.
实事求是地说,他毫无希望,但是这并没有让他放弃努力。

practical (adj): relating to experience, real situations, or actions rather than ideas or imagination
实际的;实干的;有实际经验的
E.g.: Qualifications are important but practical experience is always a plus.
资历固然重要,但实际经验总是个优势。
E.g.: The service offers young people practical advice on finding a job.
这项服务向年轻人提供就业方面的实用建议。
E.g.: What’s the use of theoretical knowledge that has no practical application?
理论知识如果没有实际应用又有什么用呢?
2-able to provide effective solutions to problems
实用的,有效的;能解决问题的
E.g.: She has lots of interesting ideas, but they’re not very practical.
她有很多有意思的想法,但都不太实用。
E.g.: We need someone practical who can cope with a crisis.
我们需要一个能够切实应付危机的人。